Tuesday, May 28, 2013

5/28/2013

The very flat and empty plains of Central Illinois :S

Elder Spencer on a tractor lawn mower

Well, we've made the first week of this transfer. This place is different for sure. I'm trying to decide if I possibly went to a different country, because the flatness of this area is in huge contrast to the almost ridiculous number of wavy hills in Hillsboro. It's another super duper small town, but it's population is about twice as much as Hillsboro had. The town itself feels small and is surrounded by much farm land. It has also, since I've gotten here, rained, was sunny, rained, really rained, was dreary, really rained again, and really really rained. I've been told that this isn't normal...I'm not so sure. :)
When I got here, there was 2 baptismal dates. We set a 3rd at an appointment we had on Thursday :) We've taught a few lessons since I've been here, but we also have been tracting A LOT(Probably 4 or more hours everyday). My companion is a super hard worker...he's a new missionary, and has mentioned many times that he just is learning so much from me...I don't consider myself as a huge source of wisdom, but as we have worked together, he's retaught me a lot of dedication and love for hard work, and if there is anyone learning, it's me at this point.
We have been having a lot of fun...It's hard work here! I miss the mountains at this point for sure :) We had an interesting trip up here. For this zone, some members offered their school bus to bring us from transfer meeting to the Champaign area. It was interesting to have 20 of us missionaries in one vehicle which ended up to be a trip that took all day. You can only imagine what that was like haha. Our District(I'm not District Leader...my MTC compainion is :D) is made up of 5 areas, and every district meeting, the Zone Leaders join, making 12 people in the district meeting haha. It's crazy. 
Anyway, the work is moving forward. We have an outlet mall in this area...It's the only thing that really exists in the area...their isn't even a Walmart anywhere in our area boundaries. One thing cool about this area is that it is near the 3rd biggest Amish/Mennonite community in the United States, which is in our area. We ate, yesterday, at the first Amish Buffet that I've ever had...it didn't seem much different, but it was extremely good!! There were lights and other technologies there...there really was no sign of actual Amish life but it was still awesome.
Anyway, I love you all! Have a wonderful week!
Elder Tyler Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment