Tuesday, May 15, 2012

5/14/2012

Week 18/Transfer #3 in Carbondale is finished, and there is a lot to share! 

First and foremost, I stay here in Carbondale, for at least one transfer with Elder Elkington, which is what we were hoping to have happen. I've decided that amidst all the difficulties that do exist in this area, it would be hard to leave a lot of the people that we are consistently teaching right now. I'm glad that we get to hang around one more transfer, at least, to help them along the path that they have started to walk upon. We still have a ton of cool places we have wanted to see and haven't yet, as well, so of course I'm excited for the extra time we have to go exploring on P-Days :)

Of course, on Mother's Day, I called home, and it was wonderful to be able to talk to my family! It's weird, and I may be the only one who has this perspective, but it really does not feel like it's been very long since I've talked to them. It was wonderful, still, to spend so much time talking to each one of them and I was really happy to hear about some of the great things that are happening at home. I guess that is how you can tell when the work is really on your mind all the time. Coming on my 6 month's out, It doesn't feel like it's been an incredibly long time, but the reward has been great. To go another 18 months seems like it will happen real fast, and I can only imagine what the rewards will be for enduring till the very end.

Another great thing that happened this week, is that I went to the Temple for the first time since I've been in St. Louis. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive up to St. Louis, which means 5 hours round trip, plus 2 hours in the temple, so a temple trip is pretty much an entire day affair. We are supposed to go every transfer, and so far, I have been a failure at making this goal(I promise though, us not going was not my fault). With some solid planning, we were able to go and it was amazing! Before we left, we actually spent the morning spreading mulch in a huge enormous garden. With the spiritual drain, and the hard work we did before we left, we were soooo tired by the time we got home...We pretty much just went straight to bed after planning. I loved it though. Next time I go, I promise not to forget my camera so I can take some pictures of the temple and some other things in St. Louis. 

On Monday, we had DLZL, so we were up in Cape. After the meeting, we were late on leaving, so we got permission to stay in Cape's apartment overnight. I got horribly sick...I'm not 100% sure why, but I had a crazy fever, a terrible pounding headache, and did not get any sleep. That morning, I had to drive us home...I was pretty nervous about it, because I still had a fever and a huge headache, plus now I was way tired. We got home safely(obviously), but yeah I was nervous about it. I stayed home that day...I just felt terrible. We were on exchanges, so Elder Gast stayed with me, while Elder Elkington and Elder Valois worked our area. My companion, being awesome as he is, brought me a Mountain Dew on his way back for dinner...and I was very happy!! :)

Also, this week, I got 5 letters from Shauna!! I love it :) She is such a motivator to me! We've gone through similar trials, nearly at the same time, so it's cool to be able to share and receive insights on things we learn together, even with being so far away. I've been super impressed on how many of her letters I've gotten in the last 3 weeks, but trust me I'm not complaining at all!! :D

So, it occurred to me that there are a ton of things here....that you don't see in Utah...EVER! That I haven't really shared.

-Very first thing...Amish people! There is an entire Amish Community just south of Murphysboro and north of Cobden/Alto Pass. There were two Amish women that were at Walmart last week, and you can almost always see them in their buggies midday on Highway 127. I would like to meet them before I leave...not sure how open Amish people are to that, but I think it would be way cool :)

-Fireflies. I've never seen them before I came here. If you drive through any rural area out here, you seem them everywhere! It's actually pretty cool! 

-Nasty hot humidity! It's bad. Last couple weeks have been approaching or exceeding 90 degrees and the humidity has been turned up to full! It's pretty gross, especially when you are out walking in it.

-Lots and lots and lots of bugs. Everywhere. Not kidding.

-Farms, orchards, vineyards. All are very common in the outskirts of each town.

-Pork steaks...I've never heard of them before, but they are all the rage here!

Hmmm...I'm sure I will think of others later. I love you all! I hope everything is going well for everyone at home! It sounds like everyone is doing well. Write me! I love letters!! :)
Till next week,

Elder Tyler Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment